- CAREER OPPORTUNITIES
- SKILL SET
- ROLES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Psychiatry is the branch of medicine focused on the diagnosis, treatment and prevention of mental, emotional and behavioural disorders.
A psychiatrist is a medical doctor (an M.D. or D.O.) who specializes in mental health, including substance use disorders. Psychiatrists are qualified to assess both the mental and physical aspects of psychological problems. The demand for psychiatrists is increasing, with the increasing mental tension and stress arising from modern.
Psychiatrist is physicians who specialize in the diagnosis and treatment of mental health problems, illness and emotional disorders. They look after patients with mental problems, such as depression and schizophrenia. Treatment approaches may be more biologically based.
- Take Science with Biology as a subject in your 11th and 12th
- Bachelor's in Medical (MBBS)
- Post Graduate Studies in Psychiatry (MD) or Diploma in Psychiatry (DPM)
- Private practices
- General and psychiatric hospitals
- University medical centers
- Community agencies
- Courts and prisons
- Nursing homes
- Government Organizations
- Military settings
- Rehabilitation programs
|All India Institute of Medical Sciences||Delhi|
|Aligarh Muslim University||Aligarh, Uttar Pradesh|
|Tata Institute of Social Sciences||Mumbai|
|Indian Institute of Technology (IIT)||Kharagpur|
|Indian Institute of Science||Bangalore|
|B. M. Institute of Mental Health||Ahmedabad|
|Central Institute of Psychiatry||Ranchi, Jharkhand|
|Department of Psychiatry, Christian Medical College||Vellore|
|Lady Hardinge Medical College||Delhi|
|National Institute of Mental Health and Neuro Sciences (NIMHANS)||Bangalore|
|Postgraduate Institute of Medical Education and Research (PGIMER)||Chandigarh|
|All India Institute of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation||Mumbai|
- Good Listener
- Good Communication Skills
- Reading Comprehensive Skills
- Problem solving Skills
- Judgment and Decision making Skills
- Perceptual Speed
- Emotional stability
- Compassion and Empathy
- Objective approach
- Stress Tolerance
- Perception and Sensitivity
- Inductive and Deductive reasoning
- Addiction /Substance Abuse Psychiatry
- Geriatric Psychiatrist
- Psychiatrist(Sleep Medicine)
- Child and Adolescent Psychiatry
- Consultation(Liaison Psychiatry)
- Military Psychiatrist
- Psychiatrist Learning Disability
- Clinical Neurophysiology
- Hospice and Palliative Medicine
- Forensic Psychiatrist
- Psychosomatic Medicine
Psychiatric Brain Injury Medicine
- Clear Class XII in any Stream with Psychology as a Subject
- Most of the institutes for post-graduation require bachelors in any field or Psychology/Applied Psychology or/and related subjects
- Most colleges have eligibility criteria of minimum 60% aggregate marks in Class XII
- Most Colleges/Institutes provide admission on the basis of Class 12thpercentage/merit. Some institutes also conduct interviews
- Design and implement behaviour modification programmes.
- Identify psychological, emotional, or behavioural issues and diagnose disorders, using information obtained from interviews, tests, records, and reference materials.
- Counsel individuals, groups, or families to help them understand problems, deal with crisis situations, define goals, and develop realistic action plans.
- Develop therapeutic and treatment plans based on clients' interests, abilities, and needs.
- Provide educational programmes on topics such as classroom management, teaching strategies, or parenting skills
- Conduct research studies of physical work environments, organizational structures, communication systems and group interactions to assess organizational functioning.
- Formulate interview techniques, rating scales, and psychological tests used to assess skills, abilities, and interests
- Recording patient’s condition or progress throughout the tenure of treatment sessions, writing reports and maintaining proper registers containing patient’s information.
- Identify and implement strategies to enhance collaboration between investigators and clinical or research scientists.