FLORICULTURE AND HORTICULTURE
- CAREER OPPORTUNITIES
- COLLEGES IN INDIA
- COLLEGES IN ABROAD
- SKILL SET
- ROLES & RESPONSIBILITITES
Floriculture or flower farming as it is popularly called is a discipline of Horticulture, and is the study of growing and marketing flowers and foliage plants.
Floriculture includes cultivation of flowering and ornamental plants for sales or for use as raw materials in cosmetic and perfume industry and the pharmaceutical sector. The persons associated with this field are called floriculturists.
Horticulture has been defined as the agriculture of plants, mainly for food, materials, comfort and beauty. According to American horticulturist Liberty Hyde Bailey, "Horticulture is the growing of flowers, fruits and vegetables, and of plants for ornament and fancy.
- Floral Designers.
- Interior Decorator.
- Production Managers.
- Management Analysts.
- Floral Wholesaler.
- Sales Representatives.
- Landscape Technician.
- B Sc. Horticulture (Hons.) for 3 years
- B Sc. Agriculture (Hons.) for 3 years
|Dr. Y S Parmar University of Horticulture & Forestry||Himachal Pradesh|
|Dr. Panjabrao Deshmukh Krishi Vidyapeeth||Maharashtra|
|Navsari Agricultural University||Gujarat|
|Indira Gandhi KrishiVishwavidyalaya||Chhattisgarh|
|Tamil Nadu Agricultural University||Coimbatore, Tamil Nadu|
|Junagadh Agricultural University||Gujarat|
|Mahatma Phule Krishi Vidyapeeth||Pune, Maharashtra|
|Anand Agricultural University||Gujarat|
|ICAR- Central Institute for Subtropical Horticulture||Utter Pradesh|
|Thanthai Roever Institute of Agriculture and Rural Development (TRIARD)||Tamilnadu|
|University of Horticultural Sciences||Karnataka|
|Horticultural College and Research Institute, Tamil Nadu Agricultural University||Tamil Nadu|
|Sam Higginbottom Institute of Agricultural Technology and Sciences (SHIATS)||Uttar Pradesh|
Indian Council of Agricultural Research (ICAR)- AIEEA
All India Entrance Examination for Admission (AIEEA)-UG shall be conducted for admission to Bachelor Degree programms in Agriculture and allied sciences (other than veterinary sciences), at Agricultural Universities on 15% of the University seats (100% seats in RLB CAU Jhansi, NDRI Karnal and Dr. RP CAU Pusa, Bihar)
10+2 examination or equivalent/Inter (Agriculture) with PCM/ PCB/ PCMB/ PCA/ PCH subject combinations with 50% marks in aggregate
|Cornell University||United States|
|University of Florida||United States|
|University of California, Davis||United States|
|University of Wisconsin-Madison||United States|
|Lincoln University||New Zealand|
|Massey University||New Zealand|
|University of British Columbia||Canada|
|Entrance Exam Details|
- To be thorough and pay attention to detail
- Should be patient, analytical and observant
- The ability to work well with others
- The ability to work on your own
- To be flexible and open to change
- Persistence and determination
- Physical skills like movement, coordination, dexterity and grace
- The ability to work well with your hands
- Physical fitness and endurance
- To be able to carry out basic tasks on a computer or hand-held device
Floriculture is not available as a subject at the undergraduate/degree level. Those who wish to join the floriculture stream should enroll for an undergraduate course in Agriculture (i.e a B.Sc. Agriculture degree) after which they can opt for an M.Sc. in Horticulture at the post graduate level. An M.Sc. in Horticulture offers specializations in floriculture, pomology (cultivation of fruits), and olericulture (cultivation of vegetables).
- Supervising pest, disease and weed control programmes, equally with health and hygienic principles
- Planning, managing and operating transplanting lines in green house as products vary throughout the year
- Examining produce, costs and profits of horticultural operations
- Formulating innovative or improved working and business strategies
- Developing innovative products and bargaining with customers and suppliers
- Managing trading system and assisting in operating structure, storage and transportation of products
- Ensuring that the quality, health, safety and hygienic standards and principles of the products are fulfilled
- Managing financial budgets, records and accounts
- Staying abreast with the new developments in the horticulture field.